History of PTMZ
The history of the enterprise begins in September 1889, when a private iron foundry of the merchant M. E. Polyakov was established in the city, which repaired agricultural equipment, manufactured carts and field kitchens for the Russian army. Initially, the number of workers at the plant was only 25 people (15 adult workers and 10 teenagers).
After the October Revolution of 1917, the plant was nationalized, in the following years it included more than ten artillery units that performed metal work.
Until the end of the civil war, the economic situation of the plant remained difficult, even in 1921 the enterprise produced mainly low-tech products (nails, agricultural tools, parts for agricultural machines, etc.).
In 1925, the first knitting machine in the USSR – the “Poltavchanka” knitting machine – was designed and manufactured at the plant, later the enterprise mastered the serial production of hosiery and winding machines for the knitting industry.
In December 1925, a district party conference was held in Poltava, where a decision was made to develop Poltava’s industrial enterprises.
In 1926, the enterprise received a new name – “Metal” plant.
From the beginning of 1927, the reconstruction of the enterprise began (which received a new name – Poltava repair and mechanical plant “Metal”), in addition to the repair of agricultural machinery, the plant also mastered the repair of cars and tractors.
In 1931, the first in the USSR flat printing polygraphic machine was built at the plant.
In 1932, at the 5th labor school of the city, there were Open training courses for factory workers.
After the beginning of the Great Patriotic War, in connection with the approach of the front line to the city, the plant was evacuated to Saratov.
In November 1933, the plant held a Communist Saturday, which was attended by about 600 people, the money earned on that day in the amount of 1,628 rubles was transferred to the Defense Fund.
During the German occupation, the plant was completely destroyed (damages amounted to 33 million rubles), but already at the end of 1943, restoration work began at the enterprise. At the end of 1943, the plant produced its first products – stoves, stoves and ovens.
In 1946, the plant began to master the production of new products – spare parts for the restoration of steam and gas turbines of power plants. The enterprise was subordinated to the People’s Commissariat of Power Plants of the USSR, new production facilities were put into operation in a short period of time.
In 1954, the plant’s House of Culture was built (Pavlenkivska pl. 1), in which the creation of the plant’s history museum began in 1957.
In 1958, the plant received a new name: “Poltava Turbomechanical Plant”.
From the beginning of the 12th five-year plan in 1980 to 1989, the plant mastered the production of 20 new types of products (in particular, 13 new consumer goods).
As of the beginning of 1989, the plant was the main enterprise for the production of spare parts for steam turbines of Soviet and foreign production, its products were exported to 30 countries of the world. The company’s balance sheet included a housing stock for factory workers and social infrastructure facilities: factory recreation center, Palace of Culture and Technology, grocery store, canteen, cooking, buffet, hairdresser, and rem workshop.
In May 1995, the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine included the plant in the list of enterprises to be privatized in 1995.
In February 2002, the plant mastered production air screw compressors.
The plant ended 2004 with a net profit of 7.133 million hryvnias.
The economic crisis that began in 2008 complicated the situation of the plant. The plant ended 2008 with a loss of 4.082 million hryvnias. In the first half of 2009, 9 million hryvnias were spent on technical re-equipment of the enterprise (purchased and installed 13 units of new equipment – lathes and milling machines with numerical software control), and in May 2009 the situation of the enterprise stabilized.
The plant ended 2009 with a net profit of UAH 145,000 (increasing net income by 28.26% compared to 2008).
In September 2012, the screw compressor stationary installation VVU-5/7, manufactured by the plant, won the “100 best goods of Ukraine” competition, held by the State Metrology Center of Ukraine, and was included in the list of 100 best goods of Ukraine.
As of the beginning of 2014, the plant was included in the list of leading industrial enterprises of Poltava. The main products of the plant were assemblies and parts for the reconstruction of steam turbines of power plants, compressors for locomotives and electric locomotives, compressor stations for construction organizations, oil cleaning machines.