History of Nikmas Concern
The history of the enterprise begins in September 1889, when a private iron foundry of the merchant M.E. Polyakova was established in the city, engaged in the repair of agricultural equipment, making carts and field kitchens for the Russian army. Initially, the number of employees of the plant was only 25 people (15 adult workers and 10 teenagers).
After the October Revolution of 1917, the plant was nationalized; in subsequent years, more than ten artels were included in its structure, performing.
Until the end of the civil war, the economic situation of the plant remained difficult, even in 1921 the enterprise produced mainly low-tech products (nails, agricultural tools, parts for agricultural machines, etc.)
In 1925, the plant designed and manufactured the first knitting machine in the USSR – the Poltavchanka knitting machine, later the enterprise mastered the serial production of hosiery and winding machines for the knitwear industry.
In December 1925, a district party conference was held in Poltava, where a decision was made to develop the industrial enterprises of Poltava
In 1926, the enterprise received a new name – the plant ‘Metal’. Since the beginning of 1927, the reconstruction of the enterprise (which received a new name – the Poltava Mechanical Repair Plant ‘Metal’) began, in addition to the repair of agricultural machines, the plant mastered the repair of cars and tractors.
In 1931, the first flat-bed printing machine in the USSR was built at the plant.
In 1932, at the 5th labor school of the In 1932, at the 5th Labor School of the city, educational program courses were opened to train factory workers.
In November 1933, a communist subbotnik was held at the plant, in which about 600 people took part, the funds earned on that day in the amount of 1628 rubles were transferred.
After the beginning of the Great Patriotic War, in connection with the approach of the front line to the city, the plant was evacuated to Saratov.
During the German occupation, the plant was completely destroyed (losses amounted to 33 million rubles), but already at the end of 1943, restoration work began at the enterprise. At the end of 1943, the plant produced the first products – buckets, stoves and ovens.
In 1946, the plant began to master the production of new products – spare parts for the restoration of steam and gas turbines of power plants. The enterprise was subordinated to the People’s Commissariat of Power Plants of the USSR, new production facilities were put into operation in a short time.
In 1954, the Plant’s House of Culture was built (Pavlenkovskaya Square, 1), in which, since 1957, the creation of a museum of the plant’s history began.
In 1958, the plant received a new name: ‘Poltava Turbomechanical Plant’. From the beginning of the 12th five-year plan in 1980 to 1989, the plant mastered the production of 20 new types of products (in particular, 13 new consumer goods).
As of the beginning of 1989, the plant was the main enterprise for the production of spare parts for steam turbines of Russian and foreign production, its products were exported to 30 countries of the world. On the balance sheet of the enterprise there were housing stock for workers of the plant and social infrastructure facilities: a factory recreation center, the Palace of Culture and Technology, a grocery store, a canteen, a cookery, a buffet, a hairdresser’s and a shoe repair shop.
In May 1995, the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine included the plant in the list of enterprises subject to privatization during 1995.
In February 2002, the plant mastered the production of air screw compressors. In 2003, the plant became part of the concern ‘Ukrrosmetall’.
The plant finished 2004 with a net profit of UAH 7.133 million.
The economic crisis that began in 2008 complicated the plant’s situation. The plant ended 2008 with a loss of UAH 4.082 million. In the first half of 2009, 9 million hryvnias were spent on the technical re-equipment of the enterprise (13 units of new equipment were purchased and installed – lathes and milling machines with numerical control) and in May 2009 the enterprise’s situation stabilized.
The plant ended 2009 with a net profit of UAH 145,000 (net income increased by 28.26% compared to 2008).
In September 2012, the stationary screw compressor unit VVU-5/7 produced by the plant won the ‘100 Best Goods of Ukraine’ competition held by the State Metrology Center of Ukraine and was included in the list of 100 best goods of Ukraine.
As of the beginning of 2014, the plant was included in the list of leading industrial enterprises in Poltava. The main products of the plant were components and parts for the reconstruction of steam turbines of power plants, compressors for diesel locomotives and electric locomotives, compressor stations for construction organizations, oil cleaning machines.